With the extreme flooding hitting Northern Indiana at the moment, it is important that those affected know their emergency resources. If you or anyone you know is affected by the flooding and needs assistance, we have listed steps to take below. If you have friends or families in flooded areas without access to internet, please ensure that they are safe and pass on this information to them.


  1. Contact your City or Town Hall and or Township Trustee’s offices to see if there is any local assistance. This may come from the City or Town Public Works and Fire Department.
  2. Contact your home owners/renters insurance company.
  3. Report your damages – this is a very important step. If you are a homeowner, renter, business owner, or a nonprofit organization and you are faced with uninsured damage from flooding that occurred on or after February 15, report your damages online here.
  4. Contact the Lake County Economic Development Office to see if you qualify for any type of assistance.  219-755-3225.
  5. Contact 211.  211 is a program that helps people find services needed.
  6. Contact the Lake County Homeland Security & Emergency Management Agency office with any questions: 219-755-3549.

Along with this, the American Red Cross Foundation has opened two emergency shelters for flood victims in Northwest Indiana. Their addresses are listed below:

Calumet Township Trustee Multi-Purpose Facility
1900 W. 41st Ave.
Gary, IN  46408

New Life Community Church
1 N. Pennsylvania St.
Hobart, IN  46342

Elkhart County:

The American Red Cross Foundation has opened up an emergency shelter located at the Central Christian Church, 418 W. Franklin St., Elkhart, IN 46516. Call at (574) 293-0668.

If you are in Elkhart County and in need of sandbags, you can visit the following sites:

  • Elkhart County Highway Garage, 59308 CR 7. Located ½ mile north of CR 26 on the east side.
  • Boy Scout Camp Parking Lot, located on CR 46 west of SR 15 about ½ mile on the north side.
  • Elkhart City Street Department, 2421 South 17th St. Elkhart
  • Goshen City residents ONLY: 475 Steury Ave. Goshen, Goshen Street Department.
  • Nappanee Street Department, 849 E. Wabash St., Nappanee, IN 46550

Residents should come prepared with their own shovels for filling the sandbags.

There is also a non-emergency phone number residents can call to receive information regarding flooding, shelters, and emergency transportation at (574) 293-8931. If you are in an emergency, please dial 911.

South Bend: 

If you are in South Bend and in need of sandbags, you can visit the following sites:

  • Clay Fire Department – 18355 Auten Road, South Bend
  • Clay Fire Department – Station #24 – 13981 State Road 23, Granger
  • Mishawaka Street Department – 500 N Cedar Street, Mishawaka
  • Penn Township – Station #13 – 13750 McKinley, Mishawaka
  • Riverside Garage – 3301 Riverside Drive, South Bend
  • South Bend Street Department (Available 24 hours) – 731 S. Lafayette, South Bend
  • Warren Fire Department – Station #18 – 54837 Quince Road, South Bend
  • Woodland Garage – 15973 New Road, Mishawaka

Residents should come prepared with their own shovels for filling the sandbags.